Monday 22 April 2013


I have read with interest numerous blog posts since the so called consultation” on PCT was unveiled prematurely and ill advisedly. I wholeheartedly agree with the ponderings of fellow professionals in the criminal justice system. The only feature of the call to arms that I depart from to some extent is the ethos that we must emphasise the cost to justice and the public, and ignore the very real consequences in the personal lives of so very many solicitors and barristers. When cuts have been made in the NHS and to benefits for the elderly and disabled, the human cost in the quality (or otherwise) of the lives of those affected is at the forefront of the opposition. 

This is of course quite right. I feel utter horror at the implications for those on the wrong side of the criminal justice system, and what will amount to the end of justice being even seen to be done, let alone actually being done. I have read many perfectly reasoned, researched and argued pieces about this monumental issue, and I therefore leave well alone. I don’t believe that I can reasonably add anything of significance.

I do want to emphasise that solicitors and barristers have been practicing in this field have continued to do so  not because we are self-interested money grabbing bastards.. It is a vocation on the same level, I believe as teaching, nursing and caring and the like. It is unfortunate that all solicitors and barristers are thought of as swimming in the same pond. We in the criminal justice system who probably earn less than the average primary school teacher (I know I do right now) are being judged by the same standards as partners of international commercial law firms that are doing very well, thank you nicely.

I’m not ashamed of saying that my first reaction at reading the PCT document was “fuck – I’m going to lose my ability to earn a living and support my three children, doing a job I’ve been doing for the last seventeen years, which I mostly enjoy, and frankly am really pretty good at.” The implications for the justice system as a whole and what it means for the country were secondary. But there you are, I’m just a self-interested bar steward in the eyes of the Daily Fail reading public.

It is possible to be motivated by more than one concern, but  that solicitors and barristers are neglecting to point out the personal devastation that will be a consequence of PCT. We are not the lawyers living in country estates or penthouse apartments. We – well I – will be casting our burdens on the state. I can only speak for myself, but I’ve had a gutsful of trying to defend the work that I do in defending the most vulnerable in society, and earning just about enough to pay the mortgage and take care of my little darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment