Monday 24 December 2012

Frank's Eulogy by Gareth Evans



 
(As best as I can remember it. Apologies for any omissions/additions, as I wanted to say so much more.)

“I have been told that I am limited, as far as time is concerned, to two and a half minutes. Well, in a room full of lawyers this will be a lawyer's two and a half minutes!

Two days ago I was musing what I might say about Frank when a random thought popped into my head. Oh God I've still got Frank's boots! These are Frank's boots, (as an aside for the Doubting Thomas' they really were Frank's  boots).  I borrowed them in early December last year for a fancy dress party, and I never got to give them back.

As I was wondering how I was going to deal with that it occurred to me that I might be able to make use of them as a prop for this occasion. The more I thought about it the more apposite I decided it was.

These boots are Doc Marten's. In my teenage years they were worn by skinheads and thugs. Frank, had a certain thuggish appearance. But appearances can be, and in Frank's case certainly were, deceptive. The best example I can give of how a stranger might perceive Frank at first blush was when Frank was visiting Exeter prison, and as Frank was leaving he heard a voice call out, “Oy, where the xxxx do you think you're going Sunshine?"  It took Frank a minute or two to explain to the prison officer that he wasn't an inmate trying a bold attempt at escape but rather a local solicitor who had been on a legal visit.

These boots are highly polished. So was Frank. Professionally respected by all who worked with him, against him, or people who Frank appeared in front of. Frank was a class act. A short while ago Frank was the Times Lawyer of the Week. Not something Frank would have told you, as another of his great attributes was his modesty.

They are of a generous size.  So was Frank. In Wild West parlance Frank was a man who cast a big shadow. But let's leave size to one side and concentrate on generous. Frank's generosity knew no bounds. Over the last two years or so Frank played a large part in raising between £2,500 and £3,000 for our local village hall fund. When I say our village hall it wasn't Frank's, he didn't live in our village. Frank would spend hours if not days of his own free time researching and preparing quizzes which he would then present. At no stage did he ask, nor would he have thought of asking, for any recompense for all those hours of his own time.

Another aspect of Frank's generosity which must be mentioned is the rugby. Initially at the County Ground and latterly at Sandy Park. Frank introduced me to Exeter Chiefs when they were at the County Ground. I looked forward to going and watching a good game of rugby. We didn't see much of the game as we stayed in the bar, and it was quite difficult to see the game through the window having to peer over the wall that was right outside and you could only see two thirds of the pitch anyway. Many a happy hour was spent at the ground with other people like Michael, Gavin and Jo.

The club then moved to Sandy Park and WBW invested in a box which led to Frank inviting many of the people in this room to attend and enjoy the comfort of the box. I recently read a very nice article/obituary about Frank which mentioned that Frank was a man who loved his rugby. I hope Nigel will forgive me but Frank didn't really love rugby; he loved the fellowship that existed on a rugby day out. I well remember during the first season at Sandy Park that it had to be gently pointed out to Frank that the team he was applauding for doing so well was the opposition and not Exeter, and that he really ought to learn the colour of the Chief's strip.

These boots are high in the leg; all embracing.  So was Frank, he was a friend to everyone. Just look around this room. And very rarely would you hear Frank utter a bad word about another human being.

The boots are tough. Frank came from a golfing dynasty. Not directly but through Jo. John, Frank's father-in-law, was a single-figure handicap golfer. Nick, Frank's brother-in-law used to play off scratch, too good to get any shots given to him. Frank?  Well, Frank was a crap golfer. But he loved it. Why tough?

Many of you may not know that in recent years Frank suffered terribly with arthritis. His left wrist was fully locked. It meant that if Frank misjudged a shot, which he often did, and his club hit the ground it caused him extreme pain. Notwithstanding that, Frank would always sign up for our golf-society days. He would turn-up, handover his money knowing that he could not win and that he would probably come last; and knowing that by the end of the round he would be in extreme pain. But, he persevered. He loved it for the fellowship of the day.

These boots are comfortable. I recently had cause to look up the definition of a gentleman. One of the definitions was, “A man in whose company other people feel comfortable". I need say no more than that.

Dry on the inside.  By way of a contrast rather than a similarity. I'm pleased to report that I spent many a happy hour/day in Frank's company when we were anything but dry on the inside. I know many others in this room who could say the same.

The last and best comparison. As we all know Doc Martens are famous for one thing more than any other. The size of the sole. Well, if a man's character is his soul then Frank had an immense soul.

Our thoughts must now turn to Jo, Kate, Eve and Jack.

If you'll forgive me I'll give my mate his boots back now.
 
Gareth Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment